Academy Head – Lieutenant General Viktor Ostroukhov
Established on the Felix Dzerzhinsky Higher School on August 24, 1992 by order N 931 of the President of the Russian Federation
Address: 70 Michurinsky Prospekt, Moscow, 117602
On January 25, 1921 The VChK (the first Soviet secret police) presidium took the decision to create permanent training and preparation courses for their operational staff. Four months later, on April 27 1921, lessons began for the first cadets. It is this date that is considered the official date of the founding of the Academy. Then, the VChK operational staff training courses catered for 150 cadets. The lessons took place in a private residence in the centre of Moscow, on Pokrovka Str.
After the VChK courses were re-organized into the Higher Courses at the GPU in 1922, they were expanded to include political and military departments: later to become faculties.
In July 1929 the Higher Course of the OGPU were re-organized into a School to train those working in the Internal state bodies. At that time the regional bodies saw the expansion of the trainee institute into a form of personnel replenishment. The courses lasted between 6 to 12 months, after which the cadets would gain the title of deputy or assistant operational officer, or were released as unsuited to work in the security services.
On May 29, 1930 a Central Committee decision taken in Moscow created a school to train and re-train security services personnel, basing it on these Higher courses. On June 4 that year it was called the Central School of the OGPU.
In 1937-1938 practically all central apparatus staff, lecturers in the «Terror, diversion, espionage and its counteraction» were shot. Five heads of institutes fell victim to the purges, as did a large number of those tutors and the cadet corps.
By the beginning of the 1940s every third management official in the Soviet organs of state security were graduates from these courses. During the Great Patriotic War the Higher School trained over 7,000 members of staff.
In 1952 it was re-organized again, into an educational institution, the first to offer a higher legal education.
In 1994 the academy at the investigative faculty saw the formation of a «girls' course» but it did not last long. Today women only study as interpreters at the Academy.
There are 10 faculties in the Academy, which train specialists not only for the FSB but also for the SVR, the Ministry of Defense, and other agencies. The Academy includes the cryptography department, information and communications, 7 general academic faculties, and 46 departments, 5 functioning and 14 support sub-sections, and a scientific-academic research centre.
The academy also has a system of additional professional education including skills enhancement and re-training for serving staff, and special training courses for those selected for the FSB who have already completed their higher education. This is the system in place across all the facutlies at the Academy. But the main faculty here is that for officers' training (FPRK), which was created in 1979. A staffer usually undergoes some additional training to improve their skills or qualifications once every five years, while for those in charge of regional security services' bodies undergo this additional training more frequently. The courses are very intensive: lasting from several weeks for those there to raise their qualifications, to several months for those who are undergoing professional training. Sometime the educational process takes several years, though that would involve learning a foreign language.
There are several institutes within the FSB system that focus on training, re-training and raising employees' qualifications (IPPKS) in the regions. They are not part of the Academy but there is coordination over the joint development of all the academic programmes and scientific or academic research directions developed.
Cryptography, communications and information Institute (IKSI)
The institute began its history in 1949 when a resolution by the Politburo created the Higher School of Cryptographers, and a closed department was created under the Mechanics-Mathematics Faculty of Moscow State University by a Council of Ministers of the USSR resolution. Later they united to become the technical faculty of the Dzerzinsky Higher School of the KGB.
The IKSI (before 1992 – the technical faculty of the Higher School) trains specialists in areas such as the transfer, protection and processing of information. The key specialist training areas are: cryptography, applied maths, IT and digital technology, electrical engineering, radio technology and communications.
The institute also comprises faculties of applied mathematics, specilalised engineering and information security, departments of natural science, special skills, and English language. The institute also runs an evening physics and maths school, an ex-budgetary Scientific Research Laboratory while the Academy has provision for post-graduate military courses, MA and PhD dissertation boards.